Monday, April 7, 2014

Weekly Journal 1: Exploring Carkeek Park

Time: 6:00 pm-8:00 pm
Place: Carkeek Park- South Buff Trail
Weather Conditions: sunny, clear skies, light breeze

           This quarter I will be observing the changes in the natural environment at Carkeek Park on the South Bluff Trail. I chose a location at a high elevation, far from the highly-developed region of the park, yet not far from the walking trail. Carkeek is one of my favorite parks in Seattle. Like Golden Gardens is has spectacular views of the Puget Sound and public space for picnics and events, though Carkeek Park also has accessible streams and wooded areas for hikes and explorations.

          As this was my first adventure on the trails in Carkeek Park, I decided to wander the trails until I found a spot that suited my field study. Not knowing where to start, I climbed the steep stairs to the highest points on the elevation looking for my ideal location of study. I wanted a place that was secluded from visible trails, yet crowded with native species for endless exploration. I landed on a high point along the South Trail Bluff, where there was a variety of tree sizes, scrub types, and evidence of old and new plant growth.
          I observed my space at a spatial scale of one square meter noting the various nonhuman sights and sounds that peaked my interest. The area is largely covered by ferns and small scrubs and the forest floor is littered by forms of detritus, fallen leaves, and forest snags. Several large trees are home to plant, animal, fungi species. The moss, lichen, ferns, birds, and squirrels populate the tree trunks and outstretched branches. Loudly buzzing bees hard at work zipped around pollinating the flowering scrubs and trees. A robin hopped along the forest floor, pecking at the soil and shuffling leaves and branches around it. Buds on the shrubs and trees are starting to bloom revealing bright petals and floral scents. Signs of life at all stages are apparent on this forest trail, showing the complexity of this natural area. At this small scale, I was intrigued by the interactions of the interconnected species in the forest community.
          Observing from large distances shows the variation in species cover, distribution, and stages of growth in different regions of the South Bluff Trail. The steeply sloping landscape shows variety in the species found at different elevations and conditions. There are areas of mostly low shrubbery and small plants and some areas thick with medium flowering trees and tall, sturdy trees. Different species cluster around different habitats. The variety of life observed between the tall tree canopies, dead snags, small bushes, and forest floor will be a focus of my study this quarter.
           Like the species present at my Carkeek Park location, I am native to the Pacific Northwest area. I grew up on the Sammamish plateau on the eastside of Seattle. The prospect of observing this small region over the length of a quarter reminds me of the changes to my home through the observable time in my life. While I will only see this area change over a short period, I’ve experienced a change in the natural environment of my hometown during its growth and development. My early childhood memories are colored by experiences of the small wooded areas and babbling creeks in Sammamish. Yet, every time I visit home I see past childhood hangouts become newly developed suburban super-houses. The loss of these past sacred spaces inspires me to create and appreciate new natural hideaways for me to explore and admire. I hope that my spot along the South Bluff Trail will become one of these special spaces for me to return to not just this quarter, but across greater timescales as well.





No comments:

Post a Comment